TRAVEL CONTESTS

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

PERU FOR TWO

One of my sacred rules is not to enter sweeps that require a purchase of any sort. I am however open to the occasional contest, like sending a short essay, as I did for the German-sponsored sweeps to the World Cup (which is increasingly sounding like things could get dicey, with reports of expected hooliganism and dreadful racist incidents at matches in France and Spain) or subscribing to an e-letter provided it’s informative and/or a good cause.
This sweeps, for a nine-day trip to Peru, meets that standard.

To enter, I signed up to receive the Daily Grist, a roundup of environmental news put out by the online magazine Grist. The site’s new to me, so I haven’t been able to get a feel for it. I’m optimistic. Grist bills itself as offering “Environmental News and Humor.” A little levity helps soften the blow of apocalyptic forecasts.

As for the trip, it’s a dandy. I’ve never been to South America, and very much want to get there. The itinerary: Lima, the Urubamba Valley, Machu Picchu, the Amazonia Tambopata Nature Reserve. The prize comes with $500 for airfare. Which won’t cover two, but the total value of the trip, minus the stipend, is $5,600. I wouldn’t fret over that. To enter, click here. For the Official Rules, here. Be sure to respond to the email they send after you've entered to complete your entry.

Otherwise, it’s a glorious spring day weather-wise. Soft air, soft light, a stretch with a caressive quality to it. The city seems quieter as a result. Work is slightly less glorious, but I am hopeful that I will be able to straighten out matters in the coming days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home