TRAVEL CONTESTS

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Friday, August 18, 2006

EQUATORIAL BELT OF CALMS

Here’s a sweeps for four nights at Pueblo Bonito, a wellness retreat in Cabo San Lucas. This is the second entry form in a row with the Official Rules on the same screen as the entry fields. One more and that will make a trend. The sponsor is US Airways Magazine.

To enter, click HERE.

The deadline is September 15.

I’ve got a touch of the summer doldrums today. Not for not having won a trip in nearly six months of contesting. That would be pathetic. No, it’s because summer is winding down; a predictable wistfulness is setting in. I’m mildly anxious about the looming school year. I’m frustrated I didn’t get as much done around the apartment as I’d hoped. I’m sad because we never made it to the beach. So, a touch of the summer doldrums.

Curious, I Googled “doldrums” and found the following at Bartleby.

(d l´dr mz) (KEY) or equatorial belt of calms, area around the earth centered slightly north of the equator between the two belts of trade winds. The large amount of solar radiation that arrives at the earth in this area causes intense heating of the land and ocean. This heating results in the rising of warm, moist air; low air pressure; cloudiness; high humidity; light, variable winds; and various forms of severe weather, such as thunderstorms and squalls. Hurricanes originate in this region. The doldrums are also noted for calms, periods when the winds disappear, trapping sailing vessels for days or weeks.

I’ll perk up when the winds do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home