TRAVEL CONTESTS

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

VROOM VROOM TWO

Yesterday, it was Audi. Today it’s Ford. (I can’t resist singing, “Have you entered a Ford sweeps lately?” to the tune of the Ford jingle. Yes, if it hasn't already occurred to you, I am as intractably corny as Kansas in August.) The compare-and-contrast semiotics: With the Audi sweeps, the prize included accommodations at top lodges in Colorado (the grand prize) and Utah (first prize); they were arranged by Abercrombie and Kent; you get a Audi Q7 for the trip, but you do not get to keep it. With the Ford sweeps, you win a trip to Las Vegas and tickets to a Penn and Teller show, PLUS a car, a Ford Escape XLT Sport.

I realize this is comparing tangerines and pomegranates, but I think the semiotics, while predictable, are worth noting.

To enter one, CLICK HERE. One entry per email. The sweeps closes November 30.

On luck: Speaking of cars, I park my car in a rented parking space in a lot next to my apartment building. My next-spot parking neighbor is a man who works for my building’s management company. Last evening I saw him for the first time in months, and asked how he was doing. He told me has a blood disorder and was bitten by a mosquito and it’s done something to his blood and that’s doing something to his liver and if they can’t cure it he’s going to have to be hospitalized for 40 days for treatment and if that’s not effective he’s going to have to get a kidney transplant. He bemoaned his bad luck. “It’s something like one in 100,000,” he said, and then mumbled something about the lottery, the logic of which I did not follow. Of course this brief encounter reminded me for the millionth-plus time how lucky we are when we have our health. I wish him well. Here’s to everyone’s health, and I mean everyone's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home