TRAVEL CONTESTS

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

BETTER LATE THAN EVER: RANCHO LA PUERTA

But earlier rather than later would have been much better in this case, an enter-daily sweeps for a one-week stay at the storied and beloved RANCHO LA PUERTA in Tecate, Mexico. Darn. I wish I’d discovered this charmer closer to the start date of June 1.

A friend of mine has been to Rancho La Puerta, and everything she reports is fabulously inspiring. (I've forgotten what she reported. What follows comes from travel articles and the website.) It’s one of the original destination spas, founded by Edmond and Deborah Szekely in 1940. (The Brooklyn-born Deborah was age 17 when they married on Christmas Day 1939; she writes that Edmond, a Hungarian, was a scholar and natural living experimenter. At age 34, he was twice her age when they wed.) In 1950, a week cost $25. Today, the lowest weekly rate is $2,500, based on double occupancy.

This is definitely a thinking woman’s spa, as opposed to some sybaritic pleasure palacio. This summer, speakers include Erica Jong and Naomi Wolf and Pepper Schwartz and Arianna Huffington. (Me thinks men are welcome, but the clientele leans to the ladies.)

The Grand Prize package includes roundtrip air to San Diego and all meals and three treatments.

You can enter once daily now through July 31. A vos jeux!

To enter, click HERE.

Here are the OFFICIAL RULES.

The website Spa Addicts is sponsoring this one. Apparently, they have a monthly sweeps. Did I know this and forget? Or did I never know this? I don’t believe I never knew. Now I do, and I will forever enter, and post, accordingly.

Speaking of spas, last week I found notes I’d taken after my first spa treatment, at The Homestead in 1990. A list.

bath/spring water
salt rub – table salt
shower – a dozen nozzles
Scotch spray
hydrotherapist (Teresa)
massage therapist (Ruth)
citrus oil
avocado oil
Unscented oil
eyepads

As a form, lists can be very effective. Or at least evocative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home